Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Home Sweet Home Yoshi: A Conundrum

Well, it seems like I've screwed up a bit. Somehow, my WIP photographs have gotten out of sync and I may be missing more than just WIP 011 like I originally had thought. So, today is a bonus day! Pictures all the way through yesterday, February 25. (For the record, the 25th is my anniversary, so this post is a bit special.)

I suppose today is a bit of a HSHY treat for those of you who are following the project.

Looking pretty good, huh? Yoshi's getting a fireplace, one brick at a time! I'm hoping to finish the fireplace completely by the end of March, but that involves finishing all the black outline and filling in all the bricks. It's doable, but ambitious.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pokeball Keychain

Over the last few months, I've been fortunate enough to attend a number of Street Pass San Diego events in the area and meet a lot of other local 3DS players. It's a really neat group and because they do so much for the local community, I told them late last year I would craft some items for them to give away at their monthly meet ups. After finally getting my act together in terms of time management, this is what I came up with. When coworkers asked me how long it took, all I could say was "two episodes of Mad Men," but this was a really fun project and I can't wait to make one for myself in the future.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Bellsprout: Cut Out (2/20 Done!)

Well, he's finally done. Charmander still doesn't have a head, but Bellsprout is 100% done. It took me until Tuesday night to work up enough courage to use my new Xacto knife, but once I got the hang of cutting things out, I actually had quite an enjoyable time extracting Bellsprout from his plastic canvas prison.  I ended up with so many little pieces of plastic on my desk, though! Look at the pile of little plasitc bits that I ended up with on my desk.
My next step was to try and find a better way of backing this little guy. I used sticky felt and scissors last time with Bulbasaur and I had a terrible time with the adhesive sticking to my scissors, so I was hesitant to reuse the method. I liked that the sticky felt held all the threads in place, though. A friend on Sprite Stitch recommended that I just take stiffened felt and backstitch it to my canvas, but quite honestly, I've never tried backstitching on a project before and it just sounded scary.

So, it was back to the sticky felt. I wasn't sure how the adhesive would behave with my Xacto knife, so I just went for it. As it turns out, an Xacto knife cuts through that stickiness pretty darn well and I was able to back Bellsprout and add a hanger to him relatively fast before getting ready for  class. (Yeah! I've actually been on top of my studying so far this semester, so I've had some time to not only craft, but craft on weekdays again!)

Anyhow, hopefully I'm back indefinitely in terms of posting. I have about three other posts in the works today and--finger's crossed--my studies won't end up consuming all my time again. Like I said, fingers crossed!