Wednesday, September 24, 2014

No More Pen Thieves!

When I went through my office recently and took inventory, I discovered that my office had not one pen in it. There were pencils and pens and highlighters, but no pens--Oh, sorry! There was one, but it was completely crusty and dried out. So, yeah, no pens.

What I ended up finding out is that pen theft is an occupational hazard for me. They get taken at meetings during sign-in, at meetings during sign-outs, and during meetings whenever someone forgets their own writing utensils. And since I have meetings at least once a week, pens tended to have a short-lived residence in my/my predecessor's office.

As petty as it sounds, I've decided that pens will no longer grow legs while I work in this new job. Plus, not having pens gave me a really good excuse to try out a project that I've been wanting to do for over two years when I was working in my previous office: pom-pom pens!

It only took about five minutes on Google Image Search to find exactly what I was looking for on Doodle Craft. (Thank you, Google, for all that you do.) The link to the tutorial can be found here, along with my "I hate cliche flower pens" comment at the end.

So, what did I use? You'll be proud! I took a photograph before ravishing the new craft supplies I got at Michael's. And did I mention that my new job gets me 15% everything there now because I work in education? I know... I'm going to be broke soon.


From left to right are some donated Bic pens from a colleague, a new hot glue gun since I apparently have never owned one before (Don't ask me how. I still don't know...), Recollections brand "Twine" from the card making section of the store, 26 Gauge silver floral wire, and some Purple Tones Aunt Lydia's #10 crochet thread.

Now, if I haven't mentioned this before, I've decided on The Nightmare Before Christmas as my office theme, hence the black and white twine. Originally, I was planning on using Aunt Lydia's #10 crochet thread in "Zebra," but for some reason I haven't been able to find it anywhere, so I'm stuck with the twine until further notice. I think it turned out really well, though, and I've had multiple meeting attendees ask me where I got my pens. Nightmare has officially become my signature at work.



6 comments:

  1. Nice! Plus, I love the black and white better than the pastel colors in the link. I bet neon would look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neon would probably look pretty amazing if you could find the right color thread for it! I've seen neon yarns before, but never thread. If you find some, please let me know. The possibilities of neon crochet thread are endless!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! Colors always have to be JUST right, or it could ruin a project.
      I could totally point you in the right direction for neon embroidery thread, but I don't know much about crochet thread. A quick Google search tells me that they do exist though!

      Delete
    3. I didn't even think about it, but you're right. You just jogged my memory that DMC has an entire neon collection available these days. I might have to try it out some time.

      Delete
    4. That's exactly what I was thinking about! lol.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete