Friday, January 10, 2014

3 Years in the Making: SO's Blanket

My SO and I have been dating for four years in late February and the poor guy, I've promised him his own afghan since abut six months into our relationship. Almost three and a half years later, he's still without a blanket to call his own.

SO's blanket has undergone a lot of redesigns. At first I was going to make him a "sand dollar" style blanket, and then a ripple, then a granny square piece, and then and then and then. Finally, after about two years of fighting with the design, I settled on an old favorite: the giant granny square. This one hasn't been frogged.

And actually, it should be completed before the end of 2014 if I keep up with it at all. I'd like to get somewhere around 100-120 rounds when all is said and done and if I counted my rows correctly, I'm somewhere in the mid 70s range right now. Each side of the blanket currently takes an hour to complete, so four hours per round if I work diligently. It's a shame that winter is almost over because I'm not much of a large-project crocheter when it gets to be summertime in San Diego. Here's a picture of SO's blanket design. I basically recycled a pattern that I'd used on my own giant granny square blanket back in 2011.
When all is said and done, there should be over six miles worth of yarn in SO's blanket. Should keep him warm, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment